Welcome to the Children’s Page!
At the Belfast Free Library the entire second floor is a space for children and teens. This welcoming place is filled with a broad collection of books, audiobooks, creative play materials, and digital resources. Our friendly staff is here to help kids, parents, caregivers, and educators find the materials they need and the stories they’ll love!
Tuesdays 10-11:00 Stay & Play Storytime for birth - 2 years old
Songs, rhymes, and simple books followed by open playtime. Develop early literacy skills and make new friends.
Fridays 10-11:00 for children 2-4 years old
Stories, songs, rhymes, and crafts for preschoolers
Siblings are always welcome at storytimes
Tuesday, July 25 @ 3:00 p.m.
Ramp It Up Energy Show
Hop on board the Mad Science express and get ready for a high speed romp into energy and power! Do the energy hustle as we heat things up with an energy conversion rap that will make you groove. Reach your potential and become ecstatic as we make things fly, spin, and soar. Witness energy conversion in action as you race around the room in an energy relay. Do you have the energy for the Mad Science Power Pedaler? We hope so because 2 lucky volunteers will convert energy into power in the cutting edge demonstration that uses mechanical energy of a bicycle to power a spectacle of light. Sparks fly when you witness a tesla coil light up the room! Convert chemical energy into heat in an explosive exothermic reaction. Witness the potential of sound energy as we use sound waves to make objects defy the laws of gravity. Learn how this technology may be used to make your future hover board. This show has the power to convert the energy in your mind into big ideas about the future of energy!
Free all-ages program.
Maine Discovery Museum @
Belfast Free Library
Sweet Nano Science
Self-assembling Molecules:Explore the concept of molecules and atoms through interactive displays, models, interactive games and experiments. Learn about the concept of self-assembly and watch self-assembly in action while making your own tiny gummies.
Belfast City Park
The City Park StoryWalk is now open for the season!
Thank you to the City of Belfast Parks and Recreation Department for building the StoryWalk Trail!
The StoryWalk™ Project was created by Anne Ferguson of Montpelier, VT and developed in collaboration with the Vermont Bicycle & Pedestrian Coalition (VBPC) and the Kellogg Hubbard Library.
Special Guests at Friday Storytime:
10:00 - 11:00 am
August 11 & September 8
Midcoast Music Together
Belfast Free Library Youth Chess Club
2016 - 2017 Season has finished
Join us next fall!
New players welcome
Borrow a Telescope, Microscope, Discovery Kit backpack, and more!
Orion Starblast Telescope, a gift from Cornerstones of Science:
- A great compact grab-and-go telescope designed for entry-level and intermediate astronomy enthusiasts
- Substantial 4.5" aperture and fast f/4 focal ratio provides bright, detailed views of solar system targets like the Moon and planets, as well as wide-field celestial objects like nebulas and star clusters
Celestron Digital Handheld Microscope:
- USB-powered handheld digital microscope with 10x to 40x magnification (up to 150x on some monitors)
- Built-in 2MP digital camera for capturing images and videos
- 6 LED ring illuminator
- Use the included software to capture images and video of your discoveries. Measure your specimens with built-in measurement tool.
Bounty Hunter Junior Metal Detector:
- Child-sized metal detector detects coin-sized objects up to 5 inches deep and larger objects up to 3 feet deep
- Lightweight, ergonomic design for easy, comfortable handling
- Target indicator meter measures signal strength and the signal increases in volume as targets get closer
Makey-Makey Invention Kit:
- Turn everyday objects into touchpads and combine them with the internet
- A simple Invention Kit for Beginners and Experts doing art, engineering, and everything in between
Discover Kit Backpacks:Each theme-based kit contains a specially selected collection of multi-format materials including books, DVDs, creative play/storytelling props, and gamesThe materials are designed to appeal to a range of kids, from Pre-K through elementary school
- Dr. Seuss
- Greek Mythology
Once Upon a Time
These half hour children's programs are produced by Erica Rubin Irish, the children's librarian for the Belfast Free Library. They feature stories and songs. The shows are hosted by Erica Rubin Irish and include storyteller musician Jennifer Armstrong.