Welcome to the Children’s Page!
At the Belfast Free Library the entire second floor is a space for children and teens. This welcoming place is filled with a broad collection of books, audiobooks, creative play materials, and digital resources. Our friendly staff is here to help kids, parents, caregivers, and educators find the materials they need and the stories they’ll love!
Tuesdays 10-11:00 Stay & Play Storytime for birth - 2 years old
Songs, rhymes, and simple books followed by open playtime. Develop early literacy skills and make new friends.
Fridays 10-11:00 for children 2-4 years old
Stories, songs, rhymes, and crafts for preschoolers
Siblings are always welcome at storytimes
Special Friday Storytimes with Jess Day
Midcoast Music Together
Fridays December 8 & January 12 @ 10:00am
This year’s Maine Student Book Award Book Group will meet the first Monday of every month* through March 5th.
Stop by the Children's Floor to pick up a copy of our next book, Click Here to Start by Denis Markell.
Fun conversations about great books, Book-related craft activity, Pizza
Belfast Free Library: Third-Floor Conference Room
Monday, January 8* @ 6:30 pm
(January meeting is on the second Monday)
Copies of our next book are available on the children’s floor:
Belfast Free Library Chess Club
Thursdays from 4:30 – 5:30
Winter/Spring session begins on January 11th
Join Coach Bruce at the Belfast Library
Learn thinking and problem solving skills that help in school and sports.
Experts say chess is the best way to learn creativity.
Parents are welcome at all classes. Say yes to chess! (Participation is free)
Ages 7 and up. New players welcome
Belfast Free Library Youth Chess Club
2016 - 2017
Belfast City Park
The City Park StoryWalk is now closed for the season.
Thank you to the City of Belfast Parks and Recreation Department for building the StoryWalk Trail!
The StoryWalk™ Project was created by Anne Ferguson of Montpelier, VT and developed in collaboration with the Vermont Bicycle & Pedestrian Coalition (VBPC) and the Kellogg Hubbard Library.
See you next year!
Borrow a Telescope, Microscope, Discovery Kit backpack, and more!
Orion Starblast Telescope, a gift from Cornerstones of Science:
- A great compact grab-and-go telescope designed for entry-level and intermediate astronomy enthusiasts
- Substantial 4.5" aperture and fast f/4 focal ratio provides bright, detailed views of solar system targets like the Moon and planets, as well as wide-field celestial objects like nebulas and star clusters
Celestron Digital Handheld Microscope:
- USB-powered handheld digital microscope with 10x to 40x magnification (up to 150x on some monitors)
- Built-in 2MP digital camera for capturing images and videos
- 6 LED ring illuminator
- Use the included software to capture images and video of your discoveries. Measure your specimens with built-in measurement tool.
Bounty Hunter Junior Metal Detector:
- Child-sized metal detector detects coin-sized objects up to 5 inches deep and larger objects up to 3 feet deep
- Lightweight, ergonomic design for easy, comfortable handling
- Target indicator meter measures signal strength and the signal increases in volume as targets get closer
Makey-Makey Invention Kit:
- Turn everyday objects into touchpads and combine them with the internet
- A simple Invention Kit for Beginners and Experts doing art, engineering, and everything in between
Discover Kit Backpacks:Each theme-based kit contains a specially selected collection of multi-format materials including books, DVDs, creative play/storytelling props, and gamesThe materials are designed to appeal to a range of kids, from Pre-K through elementary school
- Dr. Seuss
- Greek Mythology
Once Upon a Time
These half hour children's programs are produced by Erica Rubin Irish, the children's librarian for the Belfast Free Library. They feature stories and songs. The shows are hosted by Erica Rubin Irish and include storyteller musician Jennifer Armstrong.