The Friends of the Belfast Free Library are volunteers who come together because they value and care about the Belfast Free Library and seek to enhance and maximize the library’s role in the community. The Friends believe that enriching the library’s resources helps to create a strong library which in turn ensures a strong community.
Why the Friends of the Library?
What’s so great about the library? There is a dizzying array of volunteer opportunities in Belfast . . . why should I join the Friends of the Library?
- The library uniquely provides free and equal access to information and technology for all
- The library maximizes return on investment through efficient use of resources, and is a low-cost model of education delivery for all ages
- The library plays an essential, non-partisan role in providing the information that allows citizens to make informed decisions
- Students who participated in public library summer reading programs nationwide scored higher on the reading achievement tests at the beginning of the next school year
- From providing a place to do homework to applying to college or looking for financial aid, library on-line services are a key part of the educational system in our country
- The library is a vital source of lifelong learning
The Friends of the Belfast Free Library is a not-for-profit organization that is self-supporting; it holds meetings governed by by-laws, elects officers and maintains their own financial records. The Friends raise money to fund programs, materials and equipment that help the library staff better meet Belfast’s need for quality library service. Membership in the Friends is open to anyone interested in supporting the Belfast Free Library. You can join by completing a membership form available at the Circulation Desk when you next visit the library.
What have the Friends done lately?
- Funded the purchase of an exciting online service,Biblioboard that gives you access to thousands of public domain e-books and will publish and include in the library’s collection, the digital works of local writers, musicians, filmmakers, photographers, artists and cultural arts organizations.
- Funded and supported the new Teen Spacethat is a dedicated area for young adults located on the third floor
- Funded the purchase of a new video projection system and room-darkening shades.
- Funded the purchase of a new fish tankfor the Children’s Room
- Hosted the annual state-wide Friends of the Library meetingin October. The theme was “How Friends Can Make a Difference”.
- Raised funds with used book salesthroughout the year including the holiday book sale, book cart sales and canvas bag sales
- Purchased materials for “Once Upon a Time Storytime”
- Sponsored the Maine Writers “Talk About” seriesat the library
- Raised funds with semi-annual bridge parties
In the recent past, the Friends have enabled the library to purchase automatic lobby doors, children’s room computers, microfilm scanner/printer, and children’s room furnishings WOW!
Now I Really Want to Support the Friends . . . but how?
The Friends meet the 2nd Monday of each month (no summer meetings) at 11:00 a.m. in the Library’s 3rd floor Conference Room.
You are welcome to come be a Friend . . . and bring a friend with you.
If you can’t make the meetings you can support the Friends of the Library by joining. Your tax deductible membership will go a long way to support all that the Friends do for the library. You can pick up a membership form at the library’s circulation desk.
Friends of the Belfast Free Library Executive Board 2016:
President Carol Gater
Vice President Francine Brown
Treasurer Martha Beiser
Secretary Philip Stuart
Contact the Friends at firstname.lastname@example.org