The Special Collections is a department within the Belfast Free Library. The purpose of Special Collections is to collect, preserve and make available for research, materials relating primarily to the history and culture of Belfast and Waldo County.
Archival materials are stored in acid free containers in a humidity controlled environment. Materials do not circulate.
The Special Collections department is located on the third floor of the library. It features:
- Collections – Republican Journal and other Belfast papers on microfilm, historical records of Belfast and Waldo County families, organizations, and businesses, town reports, photos, postcards, maps, Belfast school yearbooks.
- Reference section including Maine, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire town and county history, family histories, surname files, published vital statistics and census records, cemetery and funeral home records and directories.
- Internet access for history & genealogy
- CD Rom databases for genealogy
- Photocopier (.10/copy)
- Microfilm reader and printer (.10/copy)
- ADA accessibility
Telephone and mail request for information will be honored and processed as time permits. Preference is given to walk-in patrons. There is a slight fee for extensive research, cost of copies and handling.
To reach the Special Collections Department contact:
Reference/Special Collections Librarian
(207) 338-3884 ext. 25
Republican Journal Digitized!
Waldo County Vital Records
For the past several years, volunteers have been transcribing vital record data from resources held in the Belfast Free Library Special Collections. These include Waldo County town reports. historic records of the First Church, Coombs Funeral Home records, Republican Journal death notices, and various other sources of birth, marriage and death information. The first to be ready for your use is the town report database.
The first phase of a project to transcribe vital records held in the Belfast Free Library is now complete!
See the Historical Records page for a complete list of historical and manuscript records in the collection with links to available finding aids.